travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Welcome!

You can also feel free to post in the Clydesdale and Athena forums for great help with us larger riders.

I weigh over 300 pounds, so even though your experiences may differ, what I will suggest will potentially do well for you.

#1 Don't buy that bike....

I am not against Walmart bikes for those who have no way to afford better, but even if you buy from there, do NOT buy a bike with full suspension... and I actually suggest avoiding bikes with even suspension forks. The reasons are:

1) Cheap bikes have cheap suspension. You will bottom it out or break it.
2) They don't absorb shocks as much as they absorb energy.

I currently ride a 2011 Trek 7.3 FX that I bought used about a year and a half ago for $200 and along with the beefier wheels I bought, it has lasted me well, with most of my riding being on gravel.

I would suggest looking for used bikes if you are on a limited budget. I see you have 2 posts, if your other is in the C&A forum, I suspect that is the better place to hold this discussion.

You will potentially have to look for a while to find a used bike sized right for you, but it is probably the best use of money.

If you must buy from a big box store, I would definitely look for a different bike than the one you posted here.
You beat me to telling him all this!

Just to add, you can find used bikes in this price range of around $250 that would last you much longer than this Iron Horse. If you really would like a new bike, I suggest bikesdirect for that price range. They would have better bikes than Wal Mart.

I too am a big guy, still a bit over 300 pounds. This Iron Horse would not hold me. If Wal Mart brands are what you want, do not get a suspension bike from them. Get a non suspension bike.

But I too highly suggest being able to ride and test the bike before buying it. Where buying used makes sense since others will most likely let you test ride the bikes.