Old 06-30-15, 10:20 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
The Fiamme Hard Silver are not as light as an Ergal. I believe we're talking about 350 grams. It might still be too light for my weight.
It's probably too light. I bent my last ~400g Reflex clincher on a front wheel within months of riding it past 200 pounds although it stayed true for over a decade at 140-170.

If you really want you can use spokeprep on the NDS spokes (Wheelsmith invented it to limit warranty returns from heavier riders without running their truing robots slower or investing in expensive hand-labor getting proper tension) although forcing the issue is bad.

Wheels taco when you slacken the bottom spokes with a bump, the rim moves off-center, bump passes, and the wheel springs back from that position. Nipples unscrewing are an indication you're getting close to that point.

I started building my own wheels after a shop built me a set which never stayed true in back and folded on a small bump in front.