View Single Post
Old 06-30-15, 01:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
I read the interview in VeloNews Carmen Small Journal: Three questions about racing with the men - VeloNews.com Pretty cool! Funny her talking of the men peeing! When I raced, it was the dark ages. We had little for "amenities". No Porta Potties or dressing rooms. The women suited up for races just like the men. In back of their car with the trunk open.

There were very few women's races and there were a small number of women who regularly rode the men's races. (Then, many years later, I got to watch CX racer Katie Compton win her first two women's Nationals titles in Portland. She raced near exclusively with men in her local races to get her world class speed because she could not acquire UCI points and still captain her para-olympics tandem.)

Women in a man's field makes us men better people and the race a better place. They get quality speed work. All good.

Ben