View Single Post
Old 06-30-15, 02:15 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
My first all night ride was an unplanned 140 mile nonstop from LAX airport to Pacific Beach, CA. It all began by arriving so late in LA that I could change into my cycling gear in the baggage area with no one to see a thing. From there, riding down Sepulveda Boulevard on a loaded tour bike in the middle of the night seemed like begging for an end-of-life experience. I scampered through Long Beach like a rabbit before the hounds, flitting past parked cars that seemed occupied. Seeing flames dance on the tops of towering smoke stacks was surreal: like riding through the cover of a Pink Floyd Album. After all of that things began look up and what I'd planned as a 2-day trip had me thinking along the way that it was too late to stop at a hiker-biker camp until before long I was watching the sun rise in Laguna Beach, taking a towel bath in open sight with the barking of seals the only sign of life at that time of the morning. That was about halfway home so -- why stop now? -- was the thinking at that point.