Old 07-01-15, 06:49 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
And Victoria is a revelation for cycling culture. Anyone who says North America doesn't have a city with that culture needs to take a trip there. There were myriad riders everywhere, lots of bikes locked up on stands, and lots of older bikes converted to utility use.

The drivers also seemed to be remarkably patient, and there were quite a few bike lanes, although fewer paths. Bike routes were well marked, including the Galloping Goose and the coastal routes.

We've ridden Vancouver Island before, and it is what we consider to be an ideal summer holiday destination for cyclists. The ferries from the mainland are quite easy to board and disembark, and a person can island hop using the other ferries.

The main highway north to Campbell River has quite dirty shoulders and the last time we were there, I had several punctures. But there is the coastal route that parellels much of the main highway, and that is very pleasant indeed.

Out of all the locations where we have cycled, I would rank Vancouver Island with the West Coast of France (and, well, France and Belgium generally) for cycling holiday potential.

By the way, the little taxi ferries that run around Victoria's harbour are better known to the locals as Pickle Boats, because they look like dill pickles floating along on the water.
Vancouver Island is a great part of the world. I would gladly spend a two week vacation or longer there in Victoria and on the island. Parts of it are charming and remind me of New England or upper Michigan/Minnesota, but it also has that rugged Western grandeur. When I was last there (about 30 years ago), there were lots of bikes but most of them were people on long bike tours or regular tourists with day-rental bikes. It's good to hear that the locals have taken up bikes now for everyday transportation.

"Think Outside the Cage"