View Single Post
Old 07-01-15, 02:58 PM
RJ80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh. So the alloy 105 goes away entirely and only the Alloy X is left with Rival. Interesting move. That Alloy 105 was sort of a sweet spot in pricing @ $1300 (exactly half the cost of the $2600 Carbon 105).

So basically, you can't get an 11-speed Grade for much under $2000 anymore unless pricing moves downwards on the Alloy X (it was around $2k for 2015).

I really wanted a Grade this past month, but ended up buying a Felt V85 instead for a few reasons. I couldn't find a GT dealer within 30 miles of Los Angeles that stocked the Grade (most of the dealers listed on GT's website no longer sell GT bikes or only special order them). That meant no test ride and I won't buy a bike without riding it first again -- been there, done that.

Also the Felt had full 105 including compact crankset (GT has FSA Vero semi-compact) and was purchased on sale locally for under $1200 out-the-door during a sale. Cheapest Grade Alloy 105 out-the-door price I found was $1380 w/shipping and no sales tax at Competitive Cyclist, which would have meant no test ride first and paying return shipping if it didn't work out. The only major advantage the GT had was its HY/RD brakes (vs Spyre on the Felt) but for the money I saved, I can swap to the HY/RD system.

Plus, I know it's just cosmetics but I just couldn't get over the tan/camo paint scheme on the '15 Grade Alloy 105. Yuck. Not sure I like the new blue on the '16 Alloy X any better.

Last edited by RJ80; 07-01-15 at 03:08 PM.