Old 07-01-15, 10:41 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The only way you will wipeout or tipover is if it is something you normally do in the course of riding or if you don't go to a nice big open grassy field and practice a little bit or practice the unclipping motion before you get the shoes and pedals. In the relatively short time I have been riding clipless I have fallen ZERO times and almost fallen twice, once was the first night I wore them and unclipped on the opposite side of my lean and the second time was going up a short but very steep hill on my fixed gear with little momentum and things unclipped just fine.

After going clipless finally I really have no interest in going back. It is nice to feel secure in my pedals but be able to get out easily without having to leave things so loose as you would with clips and straps.
My clipless cleats have 1,000's of km on them, undoubtedly it would be smart to replace them. Initially it took a decided effort to snap in but now just placing the foot in correct location lets them snap-in with little force so while approaching a stop I need to make sure to pedal with toe with the disengaged shoe. Today I saw a woman on a group ride take a clipless tumble at a stop-light. Luckily she had ridden over to the grassy area.