Old 07-02-15, 07:56 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Or maybe those of us who have sampled the various offerings, just come to the realization that steel/AL/Ti > CF. No comp[anies I know of are sponsoring pro riders to ride steel bikes, and yet there is a growing demand for them. By contrast, they have to sponsor pros with their CF bikes to generate a demand for them.

If you didn't catch it in other posys of mine: I'm selling my CF Venge....gonna replace it with steel. Currently riding a CF and Al bike. both of equal quality, I like the AL bike better; and remembering my years on steel- even cheap steel- I just miss it. I tried carbon- I had to at least give it a shot and see. Verdict: Meh....
It's only because you haven't bought a SuperSix EVO yet.

To be honest, yes, there is a nostalgic return (albeit small) to steel. Not unlike vinyl, etc. But carbon most definitely has its place. I recently did a horribly paved ride that was almost intolerable except that the amazing absorption of the EVO frame was doing its job quite well. (Not to mention keeping the bike quite silent) Even aluminum can do its thing quite well, when geometry is created to make it so.

In fact, dare I say these material debates have a whole lot less to do with material now than geometry. I've said before, I don't even know why Cannondale & Spesh make the Synapse & Roubaix. The EVO & Tarmac are so shock absorbing that the only thing left for those other 2 frames to do is put a ride in a more upright position. And, heck, you could do that with a stem anyway.

I'd bet if you tested enough aero bikes in CF, you'd find one you like a lot. If the Venge didn't work for you, I don't know that steel is the answer in so much as a "different" bike. (geometry being key)

Still, I admire steel and am glad we have several materials to choose from. That's why we don't all drive Fords.