Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
It's only because you haven't bought a SuperSix EVO yet.

To be honest, yes, there is a nostalgic return (albeit small) to steel. Not unlike vinyl, etc. But carbon most definitely has its place. I recently did a horribly paved ride that was almost intolerable except that the amazing absorption of the EVO frame was doing its job quite well. (Not to mention keeping the bike quite silent) Even aluminum can do its thing quite well, when geometry is created to make it so.

In fact, dare I say these material debates have a whole lot less to do with material now than geometry. I've said before, I don't even know why Cannondale & Spesh make the Synapse & Roubaix. The EVO & Tarmac are so shock absorbing that the only thing left for those other 2 frames to do is put a ride in a more upright position. And, heck, you could do that with a stem anyway.

I'd bet if you tested enough aero bikes in CF, you'd find one you like a lot. If the Venge didn't work for you, I don't know that steel is the answer in so much as a "different" bike. (geometry being key)

Still, I admire steel and am glad we have several materials to choose from. That's why we don't all drive Fords.
I agree- I think geometry and design and construction can be used to make a frame of any material have the desired features and characteristics. Some materials might lend themselves more readily to certain traits...like, I'm sure that it took a lot more doing to design my AL Klein in such a way to make it ride so nice,because AL by nature can be harsh.

And it's not that I don't like the Venge. It's a fine bike, and very comfy- and offers the stiffness that I desire- but it's just "missing something" compared to even my AL bike. Bith bikes have good road feel, which I like- but the Klein has something more; it's like the Klein isn't just on the road...it's more like it's planted on the road; whereas the Venge is just on the road. The Klein only weighs 2 lbs. more...but yet has a feeling of substance that the venge lacks. (Hmmm....just ocurred to me: I wonder if the carbon Aerofly bars on the Venge are soaking up what I'm missing?)

I remember when I was a kid, I once rode another klid's Big Wheel- Man! That thing seemed so cheesy compared to banana-seat Ross boat anchor I had at home... CF bikes remind me of that Big Wheel. And while you may well be correct, that there may be a CF bike that can reproduce the characteristics of a steel bike,; the thing is, there are lots of steel bikes which all posess the desired characteristics; and for a lot less money- so why look for a CF which will replicate metal...when I can just get metal?

The only thing I'll have to watch for, is not to get one that is noodly- I don't need a bike flexing under me as I'm Hulk-smashing up these hills! (It'll be interesting to see how good steel compares to my Klein in that respect- the Klein may have spoiled me. Been a long time since I've ridden steel, and when I did, it was gas-pipe steel... Who knows, I may find that nothing beats the Klein, eh? Which wouldn't be a bad thing....but I have a feeling that an old DeRosa or similar will be pretty sweet.)

Last edited by Stucky; 07-02-15 at 08:59 AM.