View Single Post
Old 07-03-15, 09:08 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...went for an early morning burn on my bike, intending on beating the 90+ heat we're getting later in the day, and paid particular attention to shifting in the Comp comparing it to what my old Sport Disc was like. The 2015 Comp now features all Shimano componentry whereas the 2014 used SRAM, not sure why they changed but they must have their reasons. But the differences are quite apparent between my old 2013 Sport Disc which had Acera on the front and back and the new Comp has XT on the back and SLX on the front with SLX shifters. The Sport Disc was decidedly 'clunky' and seemed to hesitate between shifts where the new Comp shifts almost instantaneously with a much lighter touch to the shifters, its a joy to shift on this bike. Another important thing that you all need to hear, with the double 44-32 chainring combined with the rear 10 speed 11/36 cassette I can utilize every gear this bike has, all 20 gears, in other words its a true 20 speed bike. My old Sport disc that "featured" 27 speeds with its triple and 9 speed cassette realistically provided 15 usable gears without the chain getting crossed and rubbing against the front derailleur.
Another thing the guys at the shop said regarding the differences between the Comp and the Expert was that there's absolutely nothing wrong with SLX equipment, they never see problems with the SLX components and sell a lot of it as upgrades on other bikes.
Have to say, this bike has met and exceeded all my expectations so far.