View Single Post
Old 07-07-15, 09:02 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Catinella
Title IX (1972 law which applies only to US institutions receiving federal funds) has done a lot to provide American women the same access to sports opportunities that were once only available to men. Title IX has increased American women's participation and successes in sports since 1972.

Not all men can run, cycle, jump, swim, or run faster than all women.
First off, on topic, I think it's impressive when women compete in men's races.

However, title IX is a bunch of bullcrap. Title IX almost got my college XC and Track teams cancelled because they didn't have enough women's sports. Even though there were plenty of men who wanted to compete (we were a division I team.) Our (indoor) track and XC team were the best on campus, finishing in the top 3 of our division every year for the past 10 years, and no, we weren't in an easy division either. We competed against much larger schools than we were. Yes, there should be equal opportunity, but don't handicap men's sports because there aren't enough women to compete. It's stupid. I would say, on average, more men want to play sports than women. I say this because every team I've ever been on that has had an accompanying women's team has had more people on the men's team. Men play more sports, men's sports bring in more money. Why? Because the vast majority of people who watch sports are men. In sports where fitness is tested (track/cycling/cross country running) watching men vs. women is very similar. I love to watch both men and women running in the Olympics. However, in skill based sports (football/basketball/baseball/softball) women are boring to watch. I'm sorry, they just are. Sometimes the a**hole personalities that the men have are interesting to watch. Sure, there are subtleties that an experienced watcher could enjoy, but to the majority of people, watching men's basketball is more interesting than women's basketball (for example.)

Title IX is very stupid. (My opinion of course (one that's shared with many male college athletes that have been affected in similar ways.))