Old 07-07-15, 04:37 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
^^^ Rude? No. Motivation comes from within. Either it's there or not. Same as any outdoor adventure. Hiking, biking, paddling etc.
We're all a product of experience and education. If the bar for entry into an activity is already being part of the activity, you've got a backwards mindset. Encourage others, share perspective, erase uncertainty whenever possible. Just because the OP is asking how it's done, doesn't mean they could never learn to see it from your perspective.

I find a zen in cycling onwards over bleak landscapes. In the deserts of Eastern Colorado in late fall, I found peace and tranquility. There's a surprising amount to see in nothingness, from small interruptions from passing cars and roadside properties to the sudden presence of a new feature like a far-off peak, a river, or a new cloud. It changes from instant to instant like the densest city would.

If you told me five years ago that I'd be biking across a desert for two days, I'd say "Sounds boring." Luckily, I got to experience it. If sharing that experience encourages someone else, like the OP, to quit worrying about boredom and broaden their outlook on cycle-touring, this forum is doing it's job.

If you just want to sit around with the seasoned veterans and tell the young whippersnappers "Get lost kid, you ain't got what it takes for this racket," then I pity your outlook.