Old 07-09-15, 05:51 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Better is based on what you want. Like I said earlier, my two favorite bikes are extremely different in price. Yet, I still cannot get over some folks wanting to pooh on expensive bikes for what appears to be just the fact that they are expensive. If getting from A to B most efficiently is a main point of bikes, and it is for some, why aren't the pros riding these amazing $400 bikes? And, if the bike really makes no difference, why are the companies working so hard on even the smallest of details for their pros? All of which we eventually get access to.At my age, I do not want to struggle with an extra 5-10 pounds on my MTB. And, the new wheels on my SS, which cost as much as purchasing the bike, made it mor fun to ride. Yet, a whole lot of folks still cannot seem to love their own bikes, and this seems to bring out hatred toward others' bikes, especially if the hater cannot afford said bike at this time in their life. Boy, that tune changes when finances change, for many.

I can't stand Eddie Van Halen. I just wanna put this out there, before I say this: Eddie Van Halen sounds like EVH when he plays guitar. He has a distinct sound/style that stands out, meaning no matter what, no matter what guitar he picks up, whether it be a USA made strat or a chinese made LP jr, he still sounds like EVH, in fact, the guitar he's known for is cobbled together from bits of other "cheap" guitars.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a huge difference in a "Pure Fix" bike, and a decent 80's japanese or Italian conversion. It(the conversion) just feels better. But ya gotta know what yer feeling to even know the difference, and I assume some of you guys on super expensive bikes feel that difference between an old school bike, and one of those new ridiculously expensive, transformer looking rides. And that's fine. Whatever blows yer hair back. Personally, most newer, high tech looking bikes, to me, have no soul to them. But I'm not a competitor. 5lbs means nothing to me, so i can understand, where yer coming from, although I don't have the experience to have any empathy. I don't "hate" on a bike because I can't afford it. I'll hate on it, if I think it's ugly, or pretentious. Anyone can buy an expensive bike. Money is easy to get, if you are smart. But what's the point if it has no soul? I've had 5 people ask me why I didn't get the Basso repainted to original colors. Why? I feel the same way about my bikes as I do my motorcycles. I don't wanna pull up to a stoplight, next to someone else on the same exact bike as mine. That's no fun. This is something that millions of Harley riders still haven't figured out.

There is "pooh" being flung from both sides of the fence. The "haves" and the "have nots". I've been to plenty of rides where the spandex nutsacks act like everyone else is **** because they aren't riding expensive Litespeeds. But I've also ridden with guys who are loaded, and they are the coolest people, and don't care what yer riding.

But, like I said, you can't buy soul.