View Single Post
Old 07-09-15, 11:00 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
To those who fear to have a go at touring I say forget the doubts and do it.

The sense of adventure at the start of a tour when you have a thousand or so miles to travel and are totally dependent upon your own resources is something that I miss so much it hurts. I'm too old and decrepit now but with the advent of each summer I feel that old itch to set off and tour. There is no better way to engage with people and get to know the country and I came back from each tour with a renewed faith in the goodness of my fellow-man. So many small acts of kindness from strangers in a foreign land and so many bright mornings when all is right with the world.

Cycling alone for so many miles does engender a certain state of mind and creates this routine of cycling and camping which requires little thought. When the body has ceased to protest and is accustomed to the constant pedalling, and the bike has become as familiar as any of your body parts, then it is your thoughts which are prominent.....Zen-like it may be. I loved it and it became an essential part of my life and a prerequisite to my well-being.