View Single Post
Old 07-12-15, 07:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My brother-in-law asked me to find a poopie for his son. I looked and looked, and none of the poopies seemed right for an upright bass player in a rockabilly band. So I started searching CL, and found an old Fuji that looked particularly neglected, but it fit the bill.

I contacted the seller, and we meet at his apartment complex, go to the "garage" section, and he opens the door to bike junk, stacked floor to ceiling, with about 4 square feet for a repair stand. He pulls the Fuji from the pile, and says "go ahead, test it." I don't. I see signs of fresh wrenching on the headset, bb shell, and calipers, a bit of grease on the frame. The tires look good, the valve stems look new, and it's got pedals with half-toe clips. It had not been cleaned, but it had definitely been worked on. I asked him to ride it, and the 50-something, 5'6 220lb guy hopped on and rode it like he was born on it.

I looked it over and said, "not my cup o' tea, but my nephew wants one for getting around DC." We talked bikes awhile, and he really knew his stuff. I get ready to pay and leave, and he says 'Just take it. I get so many idiots in here, it's nice to just meet a bike nerd with some sense."

In true bike nerd etiquette (and because I was spending my brother-in-law's money), I said "Nope, it's not for me, and it's not my money. Drink it away if you want to, I dont' care." This led to a couple of beers on his patio, and I had to call my wife to come and get me. We picked up my car the next day. She was pretty mad, but it was funny.
Looks like we fetched you up right.