View Single Post
Old 07-12-15, 08:24 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
I opened a craigslist ad that read "Criterium 531 Reynolds" for the title. $100 with a very bad picture, I could tell nothing from the photo. It was like a Seinfeld episode. I called the guy to ask about the bike. His wife answered the phone with a heavy New York Jewish accent . She tells me the bike belongs to her 83 year old husband and he has had the bike for 50 years, rides it every day, but he is now too old to ride it, she worries about him. I ask her if the bike is in good condition? She tells me her husband is hard of hearing so she will ask him for me. She yells very loudly to her husband, HE WANTS TO KNOW IF THE BIKE IS IN GOOD CONDITION? She answers, the bike is in great condition, he loves the bike and takes great care of it. I ask, how is the paint? She yells, HE WANTS TO KNOW HOW THE PAINT IS? She answers, he says the paint is great. So I make arrangements to meet him at 9:00 in old town, Chicago.

When I arrive I see the old man standing on the corner with his bike, very proud, this bike has been his friend for 50 years. I cross the street and as I get closer I see that this bike has paint issues and is covered in a layer of grease. The drive train is all old Suntour, that looks like it had not been cleaned in 20 years, no name cheap cottered cranks, the rear wheel is steel, the front wheel cheap 80`s aluminum replacement rim. I am trying to be happy because this bike is this mans prize. Even if it was a huffy I would have had to buy it.

I was expecting a near mint bike. It turns out, the frame was a pretty good one anyway. I changed the drive train to 1950`s period correct parts and bought a set of wheels. The bike rides great. Should keep me happy until I am 83. I love the bike.

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 07-12-15 at 08:45 PM.