clearwaterms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Here's a list of things you may need:

• Metric hex (Allen) wrenches.
  • Chain breaker if your chain doesn't have a quick link.
  • If you break the chain with a chain tool, you'll want a quick link (or special connecting pin for Shimano chains) to rejoin the chain. You shouldn't reuse pins that were driven out from a modern chain. Pushing the pin out removes a peened lip from the pin, making that pin more likely to slip and fail in the future.
  • New grips might be necessary if you can't remove your existing levers without damaging the current ones.
  • Cables and housings for your new shifters. Possibly for brakes, too. Some new levers come with.
  • Cable/housing cutter. (A Dremel with cutting wheel works as well.) You don't want to use diagonal pliers or other cutting tools that can crush/deform the cable housing, or don't give a square cut.

How many "speeds" is your current drivetrain? Asked another way, how many cogs are in the gear cluster at the rear wheel? Shifters need to match the cassette (gear cluster) for number of speeds.
My budget is as little as makes sense (IE, If the cost to do it right is $200 so be it, but I don't want to spend $200 if I can do the job just as well for $100) That being said, could you post links to a recommended place or a forum sponsor that would have all of the parts that I need in stock? Also, what is a fair budget for each of the parts that I would need? Can I do just the right side of the bar without doing the left?