View Single Post
Old 07-13-15, 11:28 AM
clearwaterms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so i am thinking I have 2 options.

This looks very similar to what I currently have. It looks like I can "buy it now" for around $25 shipped. along with the matching derailer.
Shimano St EF50 8R Bike Brake Shifter Lever Right Silver V Brake 8 Speed New | eBay
Shimano Alivio M410 SGS 8 Speed Long Cage Rear Derailleur Black | eBay

However, if I wanted to upgrade. I could pick up a set of Sram x4 shifters and an x5 derailer. The total cost would be around $60 after shipping and a brake lever.
2012 SRAM x5 Rear Bike Derailleur 9 8 Speed Long Cage MTB Alloy Black New | eBay
SRAM x4 Bicycle Trigger Shifter Set 3 x 8 Speed x 4LEFT and Right New with Wire | eBay

Is the SRAM stuff worth the extra $20? If I have to replace the grips at $15, I am thinking it makes sense to spend the money if its money well spent.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I would think any fine spray lubricant would work. I've never used any graphite lube on cables. The first thing to do is figure out if things are gummed up.

The problem you have with integrated brake/shifters is that you have to replace the entire unit, not just the shifters. For what you do, I would probably replace with an 8 speed Alivio/Acera brake/shifter, an M410 looks decent. An M410 for the rear derailleur. I usually buy off ebay and the cost isn't too bad.

As already mentioned, you may want to replace cables and housings and a chain, KMC is cheap, but that is up to you.

John