View Single Post
Old 07-13-15, 12:04 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 118 Posts
No pics because this was thirty plus years ago.

I was becoming what was known as a 'Lifer' at my last job and one of the guys in our maintenance shop knew I rode bikes. He told me his Great Uncle had passed away and that he had found a bunch of old bike parts in the barn and did I want them. I said yeah and he'd bring them the next day. The next day turned out to be very busy for me so I just handed the guy my keys and told him to put the parts in the my trunk.

I got home, had dinner, mowed the lawn, and then remembered about the stuff in the trunk. Opened the trunk and started hyperventilating. It wasn't parts, it was an entire bike in pieces with extra wheels. The bike turned out to be a 1939-ish Modern Cycles Stratos, built by Harry Skidmore of Leeds. The frame was fillet brazed with all the original decals. Rims were SS 26x1/4x1/4, one rear wheel had a 3 sp FW on it, the other had an AM hub with a triple cluster. The rear derailleur was a Simplex TDF. Most of the components were post WW2, but except for the crank set, aluminum. Did my best century on that beast.

All I have left, though, is the AM hub and the memories. The bike went to Denver a few years ago, I felt it deserved better than to be stored in my unheated garage. I laced the AM to a 700c rim and stuck that on my 1970 Robin Hood.