RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
While my prescription meds do manage my reflux disease/heartburn pretty well, I do have an occasional flare up. I believed for years that a fancy antacid brand like Gaviscon was necessary. It foams and coats and protects the esophagus. Trouble is I can only take so much of it before the high magnesium content gives me the runs.

I finally tried some Ultra-Ultra-Strength Tums or Walgreen's house equivalent, the 1000 mg size. They are all calcium so I can take as many as I need. I will pop three or four of those and be good for quite a while. It is not a substitute for Nexium, but I really helps when things get out of hand.

Also did you know you can take the other kind of acid reducer like Pepcid along with the Nexium/Prilosec/Prevacid type?. That two mechanism attack on the problem can also be very helpful.

And finally I find that the most frequent cause of heartburn problems for me is postural, not lying down as some think, but scrunching on a sofa or chair with my back and and torso bent right at the diaphragm while I watch TV. Often all I have to do to avoid the problem is get up and walk around for a little while, then sit up straight.
Tums and Rolaids don't seem to do anything for me. Really I should give up the coffee, beer, and spicy foods, but then what would the point of living be?