Old 07-13-15, 01:03 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcicero
Hi all! Long-time lurker, first time poster. Please go easy I'm looking to see if someone can provide a little advice. I'm having comfort problems on my bike.

I got my first and only road bike in 2013, a 2013 Caad 10. (Please hold off on the 'aggressive geometry' comment for a second!). Being new at the time, I tested several bikes at the LBS and purchased the Caad 10 based on great price for a beginner, great reputation, felt like it was a fast & fun ride, and it seemed like a decent fit on a 15 minute ride. However, I'm having some comfort problems and don't ride as often as I'd like, I think due to the fact that I don't feel great on it. I don't think it's because of the 'aggressive' position - in fact, I lowered the stem to get a better aero position and more speed and like it better, as the flatter back seems more comfortable; and I don't race, but I ride as hard as I can every time I ride and I love to see my speed go up. Also, it's *supposedly* not "fit" - I took the bike to a second LBS who measured me on the bike and confirmed that the size seemed fine for my body, though they put on a stem that was 10mm longer. It's a size 54, and I'm 5'11-3/4" with a 32in inseam (longer torso), 188 lbs, 35 y/o. But I somehow feel crammed and it feels very, very stiff.

I don't have experience with other bikes, so I can't put my finger on what I find uncomfortable. Is it a reflection of the stiffness of the bike or the fit? Is it me? Think I should try a different bike? Would love some suggestions on my next steps.

THANK YOU!
-Cicero
I read most of the replies and will tell you this... The bike size is probably ok if your (cycling) inseam is really 32.

The funny thing about bikes is that the seat tube measurement is nearly irrelevant, yet it is still the "standard" size measurement. I say irrelevant only because the seat tube doesn't dictate the seat height unless it's in the down direction.

Try this calculator and see what size the eddy fit will give you.

My wife is 5'8', but has a true 31" cycling inseam. It puts her on a 54, which is what she rides and is very comfortable on. The geometry chart for her bike shows the top tube length is ideal for her.

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist