Old 07-13-15, 05:54 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheManShow
Warranty is a consideration if the warranty is worth more than the paper it iswritten on. But the saving would pay for many warranty shipments back to Italy. So that is the flip side of that coin. I personally wonder how many warranty claim would there be with a Steel Luugged Frame & Fork?

BTW I hear Richard Schwin don't honor warranty claims very well, this was told me by a LBS who dropped dealing with Waterford & Gunnar. But then I had zero way to verify this information. So that is rumor or one person expierence.

I know back in the 1990's TREK did honor warranty claims on early OCLV broken wishbones, then they corrected the design fault, and the problem went away. But my friend had a OCLV Problem, Trek sent a new frame but the dealer still charged him labor on the parts swap. IMHO Trek should have payed for that.
I'd be willing to buy a frame - especially from a vendor I knew and trusted and knew how their bikes fit me - like Tommasini. I wouldn't buy a complete bike from Italy - I'd just buy the components in a group from a reliable vendor and build it myself.

I also wouldn't do this if I didn't have complete confidence in my own ability to build a bike from the parts - to me, that's worth more than a warranty would ever be on a complete bike. But certainly I would expect a reputable frame builder to stand behind any frame they built and sold me.