Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by italianstallion
I've been rear ended in my car three times in the past two years, and each time I was rear ended I was stopped in traffic at a red light and was hit at significantly higher speeds than 5 mph. So I've been going through that whole 'checking the rear view mirror each time I'm at a light' thing, and its especially unnerving now that I'm on a bicycle and I think about how each of those three rear end collisions probably would've killed me if I was on a bike. Absolutely there's no perfectly safe place for us out on the roads, but for me personally I feel much better either directly beside a car or off the edge of the right side of their rear bumper (this way if there is a rear end collision I have better odds of not getting sandwiched between cars). I don't try and beat the car I'm beside through the intersection when the light goes green...I wait for that car to go then I start rolling, so there's no risk of a right hook. I also don't pass every car at the light: I take my place in line, albeit next to a car rather than behind it. This avoids pissing everyone off that I'm passing them on the right, and also limits the risk of getting right hooked.
I was rear-ended on my bike, a couple years ago. I was in a dual-turn lane, waiting to merge into southbound traffic. So I could make the next right turn. The motorist said they didn't see me. I believed that as much as an ostrich plays poker, or a dachsund driving a Ferrari F40(just examples not true incidents). I still 'take the lane'. So I not only avoid a right-cross. I also avoid getting hit by a motorist suddenly pulling out of a driveway entrance/parking lot. If I am behind a vehicle, I don't follow them too closely. I don't ride in their blindspot. I don't care who I tick off. As long as, I am both, holding my position, and looking out for their safety. So they can pass without endangering my life, or theirs.

I was passed in a merge lane and the motorist spun out. As he attempted to re-enter the merge lane before it ended. They almost caused a multi-car collision.