View Single Post
Old 07-14-15, 07:46 AM
osiris419

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Allez, Trek Farley, Trek Crockett, Deluxe Team dirt jump BMX, SE Draft, S&M ATF, S&M L.A.M.F., S&M PBR, BSD TrailOrPark, SE Vans PK Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Brower
Okay, folks,

The Vuelta arrived today, and doesn't have the same configuration as the Shimano: the Vuelta is simply a mostly flat piece of metal with the teeth cut out, and the Shimano I have has bevels and other additions -- probably to aid the shifting).

So, I can't really find a "reasonable" on-line replacement for the ring. Should I go with Harris Cyclery (@ $70) or replace the crankset. And, if so, will a 10 spd set work with my overall 9 spd set up?
The bevels are the ramps and the other additions are the pins. They are there to help get the chain on the ring from the smaller chainring. If the ramps and pins are not there it will be very difficult to shift into that ring unless you have friction shifters, which you don't. The only ring that does not need ramps and pins are inner rings. Middle and outer rings need them.
From my experience non-ramped and pinned middle rings do not work. I've tried it for people at work a few times because they want to save a buck. We usually end up selling them the correct middle ring or a new crankset.
You can try the Vuelta ring on there but you probably won't be happy with the shifting performance. At $70 for a middle ring you could probably find an entire crankset on eBay or something and a 10 speed crank will work.

Last edited by osiris419; 07-14-15 at 07:50 AM.