Old 07-14-15, 08:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I don't like stopping at seemingly random (to drivers) places.
Right. It's random to drivers because it's contrary to the rules of the road. Common cyclist behavior truly leaves motorists wondering what the heck they are doing / going to do. When in the lane acting like any other vehicle our intention becomes quite clear.

I notice a HUGE difference with how I'm treated while stopped in line at a light. When in my car, I often see drivers behind fly up at speed, brake late and hard, stopping very close to my rear. On the bike it's the complete opposite. The sight of a cyclist causes them to use MORE caution, come up slower and stay farther back. Being rear ended in a stopped car is much more likely in my experience. Especially considering that while on the bike you can move out of the way if necessary... something you CAN"T usually do in a car.

Originally Posted by italianstallion
I've been rear ended in my car three times in the past two years, and each time I was rear ended I was stopped in traffic at a red light and was hit at significantly higher speeds than 5 mph. So I've been going through that whole 'checking the rear view mirror each time I'm at a light' thing, and its especially unnerving now that I'm on a bicycle and I think about how each of those three rear end collisions probably would've killed me if I was on a bike.
Or, the motorist would have taken notice of something much more unusual than just another car, and slowed earlier. Or, since you wisely monitor your mirror while stopped, you'd have seen it in time and been able to move out of line and avoided a collision.