Old 07-14-15, 08:19 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Avoided, but not always done easily. Some clueless motorists have a knack for making right hooks an art form, and avoiding them has come down to shear luck at times.
This. I had an idiot driver pull up beside me while I was riding on the white line (2 foot shoulder), not even pass me completely, LOOKED AT ME, no turn signal, then tried to turn right. I didn't have time to stop, if I had run into them they would have been buying me a new bike. I wasn't going fast enough to hurt myself if I had hit them. There were 2 or three people following us, so plenty of witnesses. I always look at cars' turn signals when someone passes me at a speed slower than I would expect for that road. If someone actually does have the time to pass me, and they DO put their turn signal on, I'll move into the lane and pass them on the left.

Some people are just idiotic.

EDIT: This was in broad daylight, with me riding my BRIGHT YELLOW bike and that day I was even wearing a BRIGHT RED sweater vest, there's no way in hell they didn't see me, especially since she looked over DIRECTLY AT ME before she tried to turn.