Old 07-14-15, 02:35 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually end up waiting behind a car at a red light when I commute by bike in the morning - partly because lane-splitting is technically illegal in my state, and it's really not necessary. I have no other realistic alternative to get to the MUP from my house other than ride on the road. The sidewalk is full of people walking to the bus stops or just standing around them, so riding on the sidewalk is out, until I cross the busy 3-lane/direction street that I need to cross to get to the sidewalk/"access MUP" that connects to the main one.

Maybe that makes me a sitting duck, but it can't be helped. If I'm rear-ended by a car behind me, the car in front of me will also be rear-ended. I have no doubt that what keeps me alive as a cyclist or pedestrian is the fact that most motorists do not want anything to touch their cars - that is their main incentive to not randomly rear-end anybody or anything they please, whenever they please like in Grand Theft Auto or bumper cars at carnivals.

Oh well, every time I step out of my house, I risk life and limb one way or another. Driving to work is no less dangerous, and so is taking the subway.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 07-14-15 at 02:45 PM.