View Single Post
Old 07-14-15, 06:22 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do you mean by "tight geometry"? Do you mean a bike with quick steering response? A bike that respond quickly to minor steering inputs may be tiring on longer distances, and is not going to have the stability at higher speeds that a bike with longer chainstays and a slacker headtube angle will have. That's why it's important to try any bike that you are considering at longer distances and higher speeds than you can generate drawing circles in a parking lot at low speeds. And you try try riding a simulated obstacle course as well have doing a speed run over a straight and a curvy road.

Otherwise you might find that the bike you chose does not turn well on curvy roads at speed, or becomes squirrely when you get the speed up, or it does not turn at speed (plowing a straight line) when you need to turn.

You need to find the bike with the correct fit for you, and then ride it to make sure that it performs like you want it to. A lot of the buying and selling that I want to do now involves getting the opportunity to see how different bike perform. If I could ride them at length before buying, I probably would not want a lot of them. Kinda like looking at new cars. They may look very attractive to you, but the test drive might show you that you really don't want them.