Old 07-15-15, 01:59 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Did you mention what your other bikes were? At least one MTB... others? How many road bikes?
My other bikes:

Diamondback Insight RS - Hybrid decked out with a rack, bags, fenders, lights, Airzound and all the other commuting goodies. This is my workhorse bike for days when I have to haul a lot and/or the forecast calls for precipitation. Rode it to work this morning, in fact, as the forcast calls for a 50% chance of rain on my way home.

Giant Boulder SE - Mountain bike that, seeing as I don't do any mountain biking, I leave permanently set up as a winter commuter. It has fenders, a rack and most importantly studded tires. It sees nearly exclusive use between December and March. Generally in South Dakota once the winter hits things don't melt off until spring so there's always some ice patches on the road.

Windsor Clockwork - Fixed gear bike I ride once every few weeks. No fenders or rack, just a stripped down fun bike. With no gears and the fact that South Dakota is a wind tunnel the weather has to be perfect for me to ride it, hence it doesn't see a lot of miles. It's a keen orange color. I could probably convince myself to sell this bike in lieu of the Panasonic.

Felt S32 - Triathlon/TT bike. Before some injuries and life circumstances got in the way a few years ago, I was really into competing in triathlons. I haven't done any in the last 4 years so this bike doesn't get ridden very often. It's a terrible commuter as the shift levers are on the aero bars and the brakes are on the bullhorns, so your hands are always in the wrong spot when riding in traffic. Get it out on the open road, though, and this bike will flat out haul. I have a lot of great memories with this bike so it would be hard to sell, but realistically this is the one I should probably let go if I'm not going to do any more tri races in the future (which isn't a for-sure decision either.)

So my Panasonic is the only true road bike I currently have. And with all my other bases pretty much covered I would want to replace it with another pure road bike.

How is security for your commute? Much less traumatic to loose a $50 bike than a $1000 bike.
My commute is pretty secure. Our office is in a corner of town removed from any traffic. A person would have to purposefully go out of their way to come into our parking lot in order to mess with or steal my bike. And even though it is slowly increasing, our city is still a fairly low-crime area so theft isn't too big of a concern of mine. Most thefts around here are crimes of opportunity, so a good lock is usually sufficient.

I think I'd either buy the Kestrel, or hunt for a good used Titanium or CF road bike. Then upgrade the Panasonic if you choose. Oh, do you need a rack on your commuter?
I've got two bikes with racks for when I need to haul larger loads. When I ride my other bikes I just make due with a backpack, so any replacement bike won't need to have a rack.

Some things like Jockey Wheels are consumables, and need to be replaced when they wear out. I'm not sure about your dropping the chain. If no obvious issue, it could be adjustment, or even simply a derailleur that has rotated on the mount.

There are "chain catchers", or perhaps it would give you enough of an idea to make one.

Do you have a local bike co-op or bike recycler? Some of the parts you need may be available there for less than new prices... sometimes even scavenging parts from busted derailleurs.
No local co-op in my area. Craiglist is a bit sparse too, although that can be an option if a person is patient enough. I've thought about just fixing the jockey wheels (did that for a friend's bike once) but then I figure for $25 and a lot less hassle I could just buy a new rear derailleur that is probably better than the original one anyway.

I've monkeyed with the front derailleur quite a bit but can't seem to get it adjusted in the sweet spot. It works fine about 95% of the time, but the other 5% is when the chain drops. Breathe slightly on the adjustment screw and the dropping issue stops because then it won't shift into the big ring. Again, for another $25 I could just replace the front derailleur and be done with it. I'm pretty frugal by nature, but I also can recognize the economy of spending a few extra dollars to save myself the headache of trying to rig something together to make the existing unit work.

Thanks everyone for your responses. It really is helping!