Old 07-15-15, 02:52 PM
Dragonblaster

Bikes: Raleigh SP Comp 2013 Tiagra, Dawes Ultra Galaxy 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, here goes...

Greetings! I am 52 years old, out of shape and about to re-take the plunge after 30 years.

I have a 2013 Dawes SP Comp carbon road bike with Shimano Tiagra groupset, I have the Lycra and SPD-SL shoes, and hopefully will get out on the road soon. I currently have the bike on a turbo trainer and have been practicing clipping in and out (there were only straps and toeclips the last time I cycled).

I am a little nervous about going out in the MAMIL gear with the poor shape I'm in, but I don't fully understand my inner reluctance. I used to think nothing of hopping on my old Raleigh Competition GS and riding 30-40 miles on a whim. Now it's the weather's too hot or too cold, or I need a bit more practice on the clipless pedals, or some excuse or other. It's annoying, but I am going to make a start. My job involves constant travel, and most of the hotels have gyms and swimming pools. Now I will be packing gym kit and swimming shorts.

This is the year, one way or another, in which I'm going to get back a measure of the fitness I once had.