Old 07-16-15, 04:17 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
double crankset and single speed drive train?

I've just got my alfine 8 built up, and have just realized what a royal pain in the ass it is to get the lock ring in there for the rear sprocket. I thought I could be on a tour, encounter a mountain, and easily swap out the rear with a 20t or 22t to get my lowest gear ratio equivalent to a 34/28. NOT SO!!

So I'm taking a new approach. the crankset I'm using is a triple. I currently have a 1/8" ss chainring in the middle. I'm wondering if I can put another 1/8" chainring on the inner bolts to make a double. I'm not going to bother with putting in a front shifter. The small chain ring is only there for the steepest climbs. When that happens, I can just jump off my bike, align the chain on the smaller ring, and pedal on.

I'm a little worried about chain offset on my single speed chain. I'm guessing this won't be a big deal, but double checking.

Also, I will be running a spring tensioner on the bike, and the jump from the big ring to the small ring might be a lot for the tensioner to handle. I'm running 46t on the front. Can I run a 36t on the inner ring? or even 32?