Old 07-17-15, 08:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I've just got my alfine 8 built up, and have just realized what a royal pain in the ass it is to get the lock ring in there for the rear sprocket. I thought I could be on a tour, encounter a mountain, and easily swap out the rear with a 20t or 22t to get my lowest gear ratio equivalent to a 34/28. NOT SO!!

So I'm taking a new approach. the crankset I'm using is a triple. I currently have a 1/8" ss chainring in the middle. I'm wondering if I can put another 1/8" chainring on the inner bolts to make a double. I'm not going to bother with putting in a front shifter. The small chain ring is only there for the steepest climbs. When that happens, I can just jump off my bike, align the chain on the smaller ring, and pedal on.

I'm a little worried about chain offset on my single speed chain. I'm guessing this won't be a big deal, but double checking.

Also, I will be running a spring tensioner on the bike, and the jump from the big ring to the small ring might be a lot for the tensioner to handle. I'm running 46t on the front. Can I run a 36t on the inner ring? or even 32?
By my math, if you have it set up with a 46/20 (same low gear as 34/28), then your top gear will be around 99" which has always been enough for me on tour. How about skipping the complicated setup and putting on the 20T now?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498