Old 07-17-15, 12:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
So far, I've never had to remove more than would leave me Big/Big+1". I may do more than big/big+2". It's actually more like 3". I'm cheap so I'm leary of cutting off too much, so I was trying to say that I leave it longer than needed and then cut it back until it's no longer too long (checking before each cut that I still have the Big/Big + 1").
I'm like you, and don't like to ride with the minimum length, but I don't like to waste time, so I do it either of two ways.

1- if I know that capacity will not be an issue, I simply use the small/small method and pull up the slack, or use a variant of the Shimano method.
2- if capacity may be an issue, I loop the big/big add the inch and count the maximum number of links I may cut off. Then I use abovel method subject to that limitation.

The second method generally only comes into play with wide range gearing, and 90% of the time I can dispense with needing to precheck via big/big.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.