Old 07-17-15, 07:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I can actually only think of two occasions where I kind of lost it toward a driver:

1) I was standing at a red light with my bicycle. I had leaned down to adjust something and when I stood up again, the light was green so I started across. Just then a car roared over the top of the incline (the intersection was at the bottom of a dip in the road), right through the red light. I had seconds to turn my bicycle and avoid being run over. He saw me at the last second, slammed on the brakes, and ended up on the meridian in the middle of the road. I marched over and let him know what I thought of the whole situation. His response ... he was late. The worst part ... he had a small child in the passenger seat.

2) My father and I were cycling along on a reasonably wide, absolutely empty country road with good sight lines. We had been riding side by side, but when we heard a car coming, my father was in the process of moving behind me. The driver decided to take it upon himself to teach us ... but me in particular ... a lesson about riding on the road ..... and deliberately attempted to run me off the road, slowly but surely. He got along side me, and just kept moving over and moving over and moving over until I was in danger of falling into the ditch. Of course my father saw what was going on, rode up to the guy's window and started screaming at him. At the same time I gave the car a good kick which startled the driver. We both rode up in front of the car to stop it, and then let him know what we thought of the situation. He told us he saw us riding side by side, and just wanted to teach us a lesson to respect the cars and leave them lots of room ... by making me fall in the ditch. He was an older guy, so my father laid the ... "how would you feel if some idiot tried to hurt your daughter" ... on him, and he almost broke down in tears and was so apologetic.