View Single Post
Old 07-17-15, 07:45 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I bought the TT bike. It was my least expensive bicycle purchase yet actually.

And yes, I actually do have back-up tires on hand for the current bikes, which makes it very easy to swap the tires out whenever I choose to do so.

No one is suggesting riding a tire that is dangerous. The question was "do you change the tire when the wear indicator is gone, or can you go beyond that if the tires otherwise seem to be in good shape, and if so what do you use to tell you when to change the tire?" It would be sufficient for you to reply that you think it's safest to replace the tires when the wear indicator is gone without the judgmental bits.

And @Rowan, may I ask how many bikes you have and how many thousands you have paid for them? Far more bikes than I and far more thousands. And who was it that recently commented that replacing tires on multiple bikes is expensive? Oh yeah, that was you too.

Its a legitimate question and I actually got a legitimate answer from my friend who I contacted earlier today. But thanks for your input, as always.
My answers and observations are entirely legitimate. You had a friend end up in hospital with serious injuries as a result of a catastrophic failure of a front tyre. All I am doing is suggesting that, because your tyres are your only contact with the road and failure can be dangerous, taking measures to mitigate the risks, such as observing the disappearance of wear indicators and replacing those tyres, might be a good idea.

But now I have been well and truly put back in my box, I will let the subject go.