View Single Post
Old 07-18-15, 06:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since so many people seem to want new laws, how about this one. Anyone that causes an accident while on their cell phone automatically loses their drivers license for 6 months.
Assuming your premise that people want or we need new laws (not sure I do on either point), the problem is that harsh penalties increase the likelihood of a hit and run. One of the laws that people keep forgetting about, and politicians keep violating is the law of unintended consequences.

We need to do everything possible to discourage of texting (I'm less concerned about talking on the phone than many others) while driving, but we have to be careful not to create a more serious problem. Unless hit and run penalties are ramped up first, any increased penalties for accidents are going to push a bubble out in that direction.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.