View Single Post
Old 07-18-15, 06:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Thing is many States already make it illegal to use a cellphone while driving... And those laws are basically unenforced, unless you get pulled over for something else.
Part of the problem is that we keep asking for and getting laws piecemeal in reaction to the crise de jour (crisis of the day) so we have unenforced laws, and no proportionality of penalties. We need to design our system of laws and penalties to discourage people from trading up and committing more serious offenses to evade the consequences of lesser ones.

A classic example is dumping. Cities often raise dumping fees to raise dough or at cover their costs. Sounds reasonable, except that when you have high fees for legal dumping at the town dump, you end up with illegal dumping all over the place.

I'm sorry I don't have an easy answer, but I'm not ready to grab the first easy answer that comes along.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.