View Single Post
Old 07-18-15, 07:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I definitely disagree that cell phones haven't resulted in a sea change in the overall hazard level for cyclists - it's a statistical fact that nowadays, cell phone distraction rivals drunk driving as the largest cause of auto accidents in general - and while drunk driving happens mostly at night - cell phone use in the car happens mostly during the day time when most of us ride. It is a fact that drivers distracted by cell phone use while driving is the single greatest safety threat for recreational cyclists on public roads.
And yet, where are all these accidents? The overall accident rate is not rising dramatically. And more to the point that the OP is dealing with, it certainly isn't rising dramatically enough for bicyclists to abandon the right side of the road and play dodge-em on the left.

However, if you believe I'm wrong on that point, feel free to ride against traffic or on the sidewalk, or abandon the roads entirely. For my part, while I agree about the risks of driving while texting, I'll continue to take my chances on the right. In short, there may be a storm, but the sky isn't falling.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.