View Single Post
Old 07-19-15, 07:05 PM
tonupbandit

Bikes: 80s Ciocc Designer '84 Rival, All City Space Horse w/mostly Velo Orange Grand Crux touring parts, steel mtb with mechanic scavenged group, '73 Raleigh Super Course w/braze on canti bosses and a 700c Sturmey Archer 3 speed wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
That white one is an early frame/fork and might be a San Cristobal model, the fork crown is just like mine (which IS a SC) and yes these predated the "Cincinnati Reds C" that the current decal set has. I'd bet this was built by Pelizzoli himself (or his helpers) where as the OP's frame was probably built in the later contract-shop that bought out the Ciocc name. The OP's is often referred to as a "Designer '84" due to the decal on the TT, but clearly TSD had different catalog model names depending on whether sold as complete bikes or as framesets. The "anthracite gray" color was VERY popular for this frame/model, probably more sold in that color than all others combined. Possible that the paint was actually applied by TSD in the USA, as their practice for some of the Italian bikes they sold was to import them as primered-only and paint locally. That practice is said to have 2 benefits: TSD paid a lower import duty on primered frames which were classified as "unfinished parts" and the USA paint was often better (if DuPont Imron) and neater.
In any case, I bet you'll be very pleased with this Ciocc when you build and ride it.
Thanks, unworthy1. I read quite a few of your posts about Ciocc's when researching this frame before and right after paying for it and found the info quite helpful in making a decision to buy it. I'd love to know the year, and whether it's full SL, but I think I'm also too hyper-focused on details that won't matter a whole lot once I'm out on it!