Old 07-20-15, 02:24 PM
poke em

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtchuck
I've run into a couple of d-bag buyers.... the most recent one, purchased a used Campy headset... with good
clear photos. It was a 25 year old item, but with a few very minor nicks and scratches in the chrome. it was
in excellent used condition and sold for less than $25. Six weeks after delivery, I got an angry email, demanding
a complete refund plus return shipping. Claimed it was damaged, rusty and that I had misrepresented the condition.

I offered a refund of the item & shipping, if he would send it back to me. He refused, told me he was a powerful
attorney and posted negative feedback 7 weeks after the sale. I tried reporting him to ebay and getting the feedback
removed.... and guess what.... no response. Not wanting even one negative feedback, I decided to refund the full amount AND
return postage. He amended the feedback and I resold the headset to another very pleased buyer and recovered all my costs.

This jerk confirmed the conventional wisdom about lawyers....

ebay has left its sellers without recourse in dealing with unreasonable buyers. Too bad there is no alternative.

I do use CL for items too large to ship, like complete bikes. Aside from the scam buyers, my experience has been mostly positive.

And I do use the International shipping program for all buyers outside the US..... screwed too many times on overseas deals.

You are lucky he amended the feedback, most will not do that. I sell retail items on ebay and most of my customers are great. But a small percentage of them are complete bastards. If they want their money back they will get it. Ebay and paypal will make sure of that. I've found that it always works best to tell them to return the item if they are not happy, but even then you can still have that one guy who makes it his mission to ruin your business. This is my experience selling retail items.

On my bike stuff, i have generally had great luck with everything I've sold. There was one guy who tried to extort $20 from me because I had shipped a frame/fork to him with the fork removed so it would fit in a smaller box. For some reason he thought that made me greedy. He eventually left me a negative feedback because I refused to refund any money to him.