Old 07-22-15, 09:21 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
When an OP asks a simple question , why do I nearly always see forumites asking why do they want to to do that? and why don't they do it this way (suggesting specifically what the poster has said he does not want to do).

It's a given that will be seen here. I see forumites who have taken it upon themselves to be "the judge", laying out what is right and acceptable and what is wrong, different or not acceptable. Does this help them? It is usually little help to the people they seem to think they are helping.

I am far from perfect, but I try to answer the OP's questions as best I can or keep quiet and move on to another thread. I try to not say the OP is wrong for asking a question. I would hope that if I were to ask a question here that is out of the norm, I would get the same help I try to offer.

Ben
Because we need to know the whole story to offer good advice. If someone asks, "what's the best way to collect the water that's dripping from my ceiling?" The answer isn't "buckets." It's, "fix the darn roof!"

People often come up with some crazy solution to fix their problem. But when we know what someone is trying to achieve, what the real problem is, we can often offer a solution that's much simpler than what they were trying to do.

See this thread as an example. The OP wanted to put a BB30 crankset on a MTB when that really had nothing to do with the actual problem: http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...005-model.html

Last edited by FastJake; 07-22-15 at 09:32 AM.