Old 07-22-15, 06:11 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantic90
The more I think about it, the more I am leaning this way. I considered the 1x sprocket on the front (suggested by Frank Cannon) but there is a decent amount of road riding with this bike and I don't think 1x would provide big enough gears.

So I saw the link from ColonelSanders (thanks!) which brings up another question on crank / BB compatibility:

Was looking at BB's and saw this: Shimano XT-SLX BB70 Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket
I *think* this will fit in my bike - PLEASE confirm someone..
but it doesn't look like those SRAM crank arms will fit - correct?

Just trying to look up info and it llooks like SRAM cranks / BB's are incompatible with Shimano? I'm not necessarily trying to solve this Rockhopper issue at the moment just trying to learn and figure out what my options are - I have a couple other bikes that may need fixing up
Well all the bikes stores who sell these bottom brackets say when questioned, that you can't use a GXP bottom bracket on a Shimano crank and you can't use a Shimano BSA bottom bracket(which the BB70 Hollowtech II bottom bracket is an example of) with SRAM cranks.