Old 07-26-15, 05:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
I personally am done with carbon clinchers. I own 2 sets, and both sets have had issues. Carbon tubulars, fine. Alloys or alloys with carbon fairings, fine. Even my tubeless wheels have been fine. It's just not worth it to spend a ton of money on carbon clinchers and have all these dam problems. And I am running this stuff tubed! I can't imagine adding another level of problems by trying to make them tubeless!

OP, I'm sorry you're stuck. I don't think there's an easy way out. Just learn a lesson about carbon clinchers.
Funny you say that, because I've been reading this thread thinking that I'm happy to hold my course waiting for American Classic to figure out carbon tubeless before buying any.

I recall reading AC's Bill Shook about two years ago saying that the tech to properly form carbon tubeless rims just wasn't there yet. Not that it couldn't be done, just not to his standards for AC products.

I don't know if he's right, but he's a guy whose views and opinion on design and engineering I really trust, so until another company proves him wrong, I plan to hold pat on carbon tubeless.

One of my ride buddies has these new Assault SLGs which he runs tubed, and seemingly without issue, though I've not talked him specifically about them.