Old 07-26-15, 06:43 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Funny you say that, because I've been reading this thread thinking that I'm happy to hold my course waiting for American Classic to figure out carbon tubeless before buying any.

If recall reading AC's Bill Shook about two years ago saying that the tech to properly form carbon tubeless rims just wasn't there yet. Not that it couldn't be done, just not to his standards for AC products.

I don't know if he's right, but he's a guy whose views and opinion on design and engineering I really trust, so until another company proves him wrong, I plan to hold pat on carbon tubeless.

One of my ride buddies has these new Assault SLGs which he runs tubed, and seemingly without issue, though I've not talked him specifically about them.
If you recall about three months ago I pm'd you about your Argent's and was leaning heavily toward getting a pair but I'm the type to not buy anything without some kind of deal and nobody was discounting the Argent's at the time so I chose the Assaults which were discounted plus the free two year crash replacement program. Last week Performance had a 15% off American Classic wheels and if I had the money I would have got a pair. Bill Shook and the folks at American Classic have the Tubeless gig figured out and the fact they of all people don't offer a tubeless carbon clincher says a lot. But then again, look at Bontrager's Tubeless Carbon Wheels and Easton's Aero 55's? They are a thing of beauty when you hold them in your hand and the finish is smooth as silk inside the rim channels but they also retail for about $1,200 more per set.

Last edited by dvdslw; 07-26-15 at 06:57 AM.