View Single Post
Old 07-26-15, 07:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Actually, this part isn't really true per-se. (Sciencey nitpicking of no real consequence ahead!)

Your self-generated headwind component is your self-generated headwind component, regardless of the crosswind component. The crosswind won't add to your headwind, and your self-generated headwind will be the same even with no wind at all, since it's the "headwind" generated by you pushing yourself through the air. The added burden crosswind provides to your forward motion, will come entirely from the friction of the tires on the road as you counter-steer against the crosswind...

The crosswind and self-generated headwind vectors add together to make it feel more like a headwind, however, so that the faster you go, the more messed-up the wind situation feels to you, as a rider.

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that because wind resistance isn't linear. When you combine the crosswind with the bicycle's forward speed you get an apparent wind speed higher than either. Since wind drag is proportional to the square of wind speed, when you calculate the drag at the higher speed, then divide it back into the two vectors, the forward drag component is higher than it would have been in still air.

So it's not at all an illusion that riding across the wind is harder than riding in still air.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.