View Single Post
Old 07-26-15, 12:07 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilGunton
Really? That's interesting, if true then I completely misread their page, my apologies. I read "Add kit for complete bike ($3700)" as saying that the complete bike cost $3700. Oops.

Yikes

Oh, what's a thousand dollars here and there between friends????

Ok, so these are expensive bikes. But I always like to compare it to cars... to get the very best car in the world, you'd be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. Well out of the reach of most people. But you can get one of the finest touring bikes in the world for just a few thousand dollars. Custom made to your body, and with the very best the industry has to offer! And it's within reach of most people. Yeah, expensive, but hey, you can do it if you save for a while. If you can afford a second hand car, you can get one of these.

But still... yeah, $1700 for a hub really makes you stop and think. Like, wow.

Neil
Yeah, if you click through their calculator you can see that while you can buy the frame without the kit, you can't but the kit without the frame, and if you click both, the total cost appears.

If it means anything, I have two Rohloff bikes (though only one is disc, and you can get a non-disc Rohloff for as little as $1300) and the cost is in my opinion worth it. These hubs are amazing.