Old 07-27-15, 06:33 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
When I was younger, I might have done just what you did. Okay, I did give a few one finger waves, but not very often. I'm more inclined to simply call poor motorists morons (often just under my breath) and move on.

However, one fine day I was riding on a street with a door-zone bike lane. Naturally, I was riding in the middle of the travel lane to stay out of the door zone. A pick-up came up behind me and honked its horn. While I was tempted to respond negatively, but I just pointed at the parked cars and rode on in the lane until there were no more parked cars, at which point I moved into the bike lane. The driver pulled up alongside me, matched speed and rolled down the passenger window to chat. At that point I noticed his young child and was thankful that I hadn't made any obscene gestures or yelled anything. I explained the risk of the door zone and he thanked me for the information and drove off. It was a pleasantly civil encounter, even if it did start with a honking horn.
And the driver might have honked his horn because he thought you were unaware of being in the traffic lane, and he sincerely wanted to warn you. The important thing is, you both handled it well and he even learned a little about bicycling in the process.

"Think Outside the Cage"