View Single Post
Old 07-27-15, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18566 Post(s)
Liked 15,992 Times in 7,512 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What happened to the "i'm estranged from my wife" story?

Is he riding more than 5 miles a day yet?

This whole enterprise strikes me as a little bit needy but maybe I'm being cynical.
Put me the cynical corner. Wondering if this was some sort of stunt to win her back and possibly get some publicity for himself.

As for the 300 lbs., I looked at the photo of his trailer and I have to wonder if it could support that much weight. Even if the trailer itself weighs 50 lbs., a 250 lb. load would put some serious stress on that thing. A B.O.B. is rated for 70 lbs. of gear. While that's probably a conservative estimate given for legal reasons, still....Also, I can see some potential conflicts with rumble strip placement, at least further west, due to the width of the trailer. I remember reading a Crazy Guy journal written by a woman. She was travelling with her husband and friends. They were pulling their young child in a two-wheeled trailer. On a portion of PR 93 in British Columbia the left wheel of the trailer had to avoid the constant rumble strips. I rode that same stretch later that year and saw the problem for myself. And I certainly would not want to descend a steep grade (or any grade) with 300 lbs. pushing me from behind.

If you look at the video accompanying this story you might, like me, wonder how he could fit 300 lbs. into his trailer unless he is carrying lead weights:

600-Pound Man Bikes Coast-to-Coast to Save Marriage, Lose Weight - NBC News

A few years ago Adventure Cycling Association acquired a heavy duty scale and started weighing the rigs of loaded tourists who stopped into their Missoula headquarters. IIRC, the "winner" the first year tipped the scales in the 160 lbs. range. That was for bike, gear and carrying apparatus (trailer, panniers, etc.)