View Single Post
Old 07-27-15, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18564 Post(s)
Liked 15,990 Times in 7,511 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
Guess he wouldn't get the same publicity if he stayed home, fixed his diet and rode his bike locally to lose weight and build the endurance for a 'big trip'.
+1. This morning I was discussing his trip with my GF and basically said the same thing. Why doesn't he simply stay home, change his eating habits and exercise every day to lose weight? Throwing himself into a situation that he's clearly not prepared for (both physically and otherwise) doesn't seem like the ideal way to address all the underlying issues he confesses to having. Assuming his "psychology" is sincere, it sounds like he has convinced himself that a trip like this will definitely be a life-changing event. Unfortunately, deep, underlying issues don't always resolve themselves during a trip like this. I remember begging to get downsized in the wake of a corporate acquisition so I could ride across the county. I convinced myself that during the trip, as I sat looking at some pretty view, everything would become clear and I would know what I really wanted to do with my life. That moment never happened despite some 18 months of voluntary unemployment and about 10,000 miles of touring over three trips. In fact, I eventually got my old job back after being away for exactly two years.

And to go full-cynical: After looking at his funding and reading his posts, I am really wondering if part of his motivation is the money, and it is quite a lot of money he has raised so far.