Old 07-28-15, 12:39 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I kinda have the opposite problem. I don't drink much on the bike.

Granted, I typically try to start my rides around 6:30am and be done by 10am before the Texas summer heat really gets cranking.

If I do a 20 or less mile ride, I won't even take a sip of water. My usual routine is to get on the bike by 6:30am. Sometimes I'll eat a gel prior to the ride, sometimes not. Then ride the bike for 15-20 miles. Come back, take a shower, cook breakfast, log into work, then finally I'll have a drink of water with breakfast. Up until then I don't feel thirsty.

If I stay out longer than that, I'll start sipping. If I do 30 miles, I'll get into the bottle some. After 40 miles, I'll have finished one bottle and moved on to the next one. I do eat a gel every 45 minutes to an hour of riding past 30 miles typically.

Now when I do the long (60-100 mile) T-shirt rides, I do drink a little at each rest stop. Usually, I'm not that thirsty, but I just do it because you're supposed to. I'll have a little of whatever they are serving. Water, Gatorade, pickle juice. I mainly try to keep my calories up and that does come by way of some fruit which I assume provides some hydration as well.

But overall, I've not had a serious water issue out there. I've never really tried putting anything in the bottle other than a squirt of Gatorade mixed in with the water on the long T-shirt rides.

Is that abnormal?